HAWAII CHICKEN AND LONG RICE
- 2-3 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1" piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 4 bundles long rice noodles
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- Soak long rice noodles.
- Place chicken thighs in a soup pot - then add water, chicken broth, crushed ginger, Hawaiian sea salt, crushed garlic, shiitake mushrooms and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil then simmer 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove chicken and shiitake mushrooms from broth. Save broth. Cut long rice into 4 inch lengths - add to broth and then boil for 10 minutes. Cut off and discord shiitake mushroom stems. Slice shiitake mushrooms. Shred chicken.
- Add shredded chicken and shiitake mushrooms to broth. Season to taste.
Makes 12 servings.
HAWAII SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN
- 1 (10 ounce) jar sweet and sour sauce
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch choy sum
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Refrigerate chicken in sweet and sour sauce for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 400° F.
- Remove chicken from bowl - combine sweet and sour sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, white wine, and melted butter.
- Place chicken in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish, and pour sweet and sour sauce mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes in oven until the sauce has become a thick glaze.
- Place thinly sliced red and green bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms and choy sum into heated frying pan. Pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over vegetables - saute for 2-3 minutes.
Serve chicken over white rice with side of sauteed vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
BACK TO TOP